Gone are the days, when we used to burn CD and DVDs to install operating systems. Now all modern operating systems lets you install using PEN Drive / USB Storage Device / USB Stick. And this article describes step by step guide to format and create bootable Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 USB Stick.
- Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 ISO or installation files
- A 4GB USB 2.0 Storage device (Its recommended to use USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 device for optimal performance)
- Plug your USB storage device. and run Command Prompt and execute the following commands one by one.
- Now copy all setup files to USB storage device… and that’s All.
- Re-boot your PC with it, you will be able to boot and install Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 using USB Stick.
Run Disk partition utility
To get disk index that is used to perform disk partitioning.
Select disk n
Selects disk n to perform disk partitioning. n is the number for your USB flash drive you obtained from above command.
Flush your existing all USB drive’s partitions.
Create partition primary
Creates a partition as primary partition.
Set the partition as active to hold bootmgr.
Format FS=NTFS QUICK
Perform a quick format on the USB Flash drive
Assign a drive letter to the partition
To quit Diskpart utility
Note: If you face any trouble to boot with it or unable to boot, try this FIX.
I:\Boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 I:
Where I: is the drive letter of USB Stick