In addition to Windows 8 SKUs for home users and tech professionals, Like Windows 7, Windows 8 has also an edition for business customers i.e. Windows 8 Enterprise that will be available via Microsoft Software Assurance.
Windows 8 Enterprise includes all features of Windows 8 Pro plus features for IT environment that enable PC management and deployment, advanced security, virtualization, new mobility scenarios, and much more.
In a recent Windows team blog post, the company has detailed some of key features that will be available to business customers exclusively.
- Windows To Go is a fully manageable corporate Windows 8 desktop on a bootable external USB stick. This will allow IT organizations to support the “Bring Your Own PC” trend and businesses can give contingent staff access to the corporate environment without compromising security.
- DirectAccess allows remote users to seamlessly access resources inside a corporate network without having to launch a separate VPN and helps IT administrators keep remote users’ PCs in compliance by applying the latest policies, software updates, is easier to deploy, and it can be implemented with the existing IPv4 infrastructure.
- BranchCache allows users’ PCs to cache files, websites, and other content from central servers, so content is not repeatedly downloaded across the wide area network (WAN). When used with Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 brings several improvements to BranchCache to streamline the deployment process, optimize bandwidth over WAN connections and ensure better security and scalabilty.
- AppLocker can help mitigate issues by restricting the files and apps that users or groups are allowed to run.
- VDI enhancements: Enhancements in Microsoft RemoteFX and Windows Server 2012, provide users with a rich desktop experience with the ability to play 3D graphics, use USB peripherals and use touch-enabled devices across any type of network (LAN or WAN) for VDI scenarios.
- New Windows 8 App Deployment: Domain joined PCs and tablets running Windows 8 Enterprise will automatically be enabled to side-load internal, Windows 8 Metro style apps.
Beyond these features, Software Assurance customers will also get improvements to the fundamentals, including end-to-end security and better manageability.
If you haven’t tried out Windows 8 yet, download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and experience first-hand the beautiful, fast and fluid experience.