Microsoft has released a security update to fix Windows 7 Activation Exploits and prevent piracy. This update for Windows Activation Technologies helps detect validation errors and activation exploits. It also detects any tampering attempts made to important Windows 7 system files.
Windows Activation Technologies helps you confirm that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is genuine. Additionally, Windows Activation Technologies helps protect against the risks of counterfeit software. Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7 consists of activation and validation components that contain anti-piracy features.
- Activation is an anti-piracy technology that verifies the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer. The product key is a 25-character code that is located on the Certificate of Authenticity label or on the proof of license label. These labels are included with each genuine copy of Windows. A genuine product key can only be used on the number of computers that are specified in a software license.
- Validation is an online process that enables you to verify that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is activated correctly and is genuine.
Installing this update does not affect the functionality of your operating system and it is available for downloaded at Microsoft Download Center:
- Update for Windows 7 for x86-based systems (KB971033)
- Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB971033)
You can also use Windows Update to get this update, just follow these steps-
- Click Start > All Programs > Windows Update.
- Click Change settings.
- Under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended), and then click OK and check for updates.